Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Feeding

I want to take a moment to share my feelings about a sensitive topic related to being a new mom. Many people, and I'm not sure why, have been asking me about how and what I am feeding my baby (i.e. breast milk or formula) While many are just asking out of curiosity, there are many who ask out of a desire to express their own opinion about the topic - and there are many opinions. I feel as though there is a hint of confusion that comes out in their questions or response to my method. I get some interesting looks when I tell people how I am feeding my child. Let me explain what I am doing: I am feeding my child my milk through a bottle. (thank goodness for the Medela Pump n Style). This method is working very well for our family. This style, while not common, is used by moms - I just don't think people hear about it that often or it isn't talked about. Here are some benefits of our chosen feeding method:

1. I am being economically friendly - my milk is free!
2. Both Steven and I are able to feed Preston
3. I can take my child out in public and feel comfortable feeding him.
4. I am bonding with my child my looking at him while we are feeding
5. I have 3 weeks worth of milk storred up in my freezer!
6. My child has gained over 2lbs in 2 weeks

While I support all methods of feeding, I just wanted to share my feelings about the response to my method. It's a bit irritating to hear so many people ask me if I am nursing my child and why I would pump my milk and then feed it to my child instead of having him take it from me directly. People think all sorts of stuff like; I am not 'bonding' with my child or they are concerned that my milk will decrease, etc... (None of these concerns are valid in my opinion) I just feel like their questions or comments are not necessary. Perhaps its my style or personality, but I would NEVER question or challenge someone's method to feeding their child. Most often, I just don't ask and trust that they are doing well. I may ask out of curiosity but that is all. Come on, its not really my business to know what someone else is doing. I hope we can all be a bit more sensitive and supportive to those who make different decisions about how and what to feed their children. I think that would make new mom's feel more supported in this crazy time of life.

No comments: