Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Olympics

This week I have been watching the Olympics - all the time! The TV is set to NBC and I have watched just about everything - swimming, gymnastics, cycling, rowing, volleyball, etc... Watching the Olympics has been a great form of entertainment as I am home taking care of baby Preston. I can't imagine the past week and a half without the Olympics.

I remember when I was a little girl being facinated with the Olympics. I had great dreams of being an Olympic gymnast like Mary Lou Retton or Kerri Strug. Well, that didn't happend - but thats ok. My life is still valuable and meaningful even though these Olympic dreams didn't materialize. I think watching the Olympics can encourage hard work, determination and courage in young people - as I know it encouraged these life characteristics in me.

I'm also struck by athletes like Michael Phelps, Natalie Caughlin, Shawn Johnson and many others. These athlets seem to demonstrate a love for their sport, a team mindset and a healthy view of competition. I am thankful for these athletes and their impact on young people. So often, athletics is all about competition and winning and less about love for sport, healthy living and hard work. I hope these athletes, and many others, can continue to encourages these healthy characteristics listed above and many others. Enjoy watching the Olympics and go team USA!

No comments: