Thursday, May 14, 2009

Post Mothers Day Reflections

I forgot to write a post on Mothers day but I wanted to let everyone know that I had a very nice day. The Dalbey Trio spent the afternoon with Steven's family enjoying a nice lunch and playing some bocce ball in the backyard. Preston also pulled himself up to the standing position for the first time on Mother's day - way to go buddy!

I remember a day when I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a mother. I thought I would be a bad mom because I don't really have a close relationship with mine. I had also been taught at Christian school that 'God made me to be a mother' but I just didn't buy into that kind of talk. It made me feel and think that if I didn't become a mother that something was wrong with me. It also made me feel like I had to let go of a lot of my goals and dreams just so that I can stay home and raise children. In case you didn't know, I like my independance and hearing about the 'typical' mom thing didn't excite me in any way. I think what I am trying to say is that I am learning that my identity is not based on the fact that I am a mother. I am a mother but I am also a wife, an artist, a sister, a friend, a leader, and most importantly - a child of God. Yes, I like being Preston's mom and I am learning how to be a good mom to him each day. I still get scared and think a lot about what is to come, but I try to take each day one at a time and enjoy the time I have with him.

Here are a few photo's from the past couple days. Enjoy!


No comments: