Friday, May 13, 2011

I love St. Louis

As I was driving to work this morning, I was reflecting on all the things I love about St. Louis. I am from St. Louis - born and raised. I call myself a true native to this city and it is my home. While many move to St. Louis and love living here, I think it takes time to become a true Saint Louisan...at least 10 years, if not more. To truly be one you have to do more than just hit up a Cardinals Game, tour the Anheuser Busch Brewery, take a ride up the arch, visit Ted Drews and go to the Zoo. You have to live through many cycles of St. Louis weather and get used to it being 30 degrees one day and 75 degrees the next. You have to visit the Soulard Farmers market and pick up some fresh produce. You must call that highway that travels East and West through the city Highway 40, not I-64. You have to ride the Carousel at Faust Park. You need to sled down Art Hill in snow AND ice. You must visit Crown Candy. You must also ride your bike on the Katy Trail. Let me also add that the first question you ask someone when you meet them for the first time is 'where did you go to high school'? (note - this is not a judgmental question, just a conversation piece). Oh yes, I think I need to add some food to this list. You must love St. Louis thin crust Pizza (Imo's) and real Italian food from the Hill. My personal favorite is Trattoria Marcella on Watson. You must NEVER call St. Louis Bread Company Panera. Just call it Bread Co. Some other amazing places to visit in St. Louis include: Forest Park (its FREE), the Botanical Gardens (I highly recommend the train display every Christmas), Gus' Pretzels, The Transportation Museum, Grant's Farm (feed the goats), and the Magic House. Ok, there are many more places I could list to go and visit or restaurants to visit, but the point I am trying to make is that I love my city, my home. I hope and pray that I will never leave.

1 comment:

Dexter said...

Great Post! I love STL as well! Another STL staple is Villa Farotto in the Chesterfield Valley! Great pizza and the best toasted ravioli I've ever had. Check 'em out! www.villafarotto.com