Friday, August 8, 2008

How are we doing?

The Dalbey Trio has been home for 2 1/2 days...what an amazing, interesting, exhausting, emotional and joyful 2 1/2 days. This morning Steven and I were eating breakfast together. When I began to pray, the only thing I could utter through my tears were 'God, thank you that Preston is here'. I was crying because I am so thankful that Preston made it here safely and that I wanted to do everything I could to take care of him. I love this boy so much! Steven also had a moment of tears today. Preston swallowed a little too much milk at a feeding and had to cough. Steven was so afraid that something was wrong or that he couldn't breath. Steven told me that he just wanted to make sure that everything was going to be ok. I guess you could say that Steven and I are on a huge journey and we are learning as we go.

I want to take a brief moment and share some personal things that I am learning through this experience the past few days. I am learning that taking care of my child does not requre perfection. I think love, effort, compassion and patience are more important than getting everything right. I am also learning to trust myself more. I say this because there are so many resources about parenting/taking care of a child (books, people, clubs, etc...) and while each mean well, it can be overwhelming for someone likes me who wants to do things the 'right' way. I think its important to trust my own instincts and to love my child to the best of my ability.

Ok, I am tired and I do want to show some updated photo's. Enjoy!

Preston, Steven and Grandma & Grandpa Dalbey (Taken on day of Birth)
Preston, Steven & Katrina w/ Grandpa Denton (Taken on day of Birth)
Preston w/ Grandma Denton

Preston w/ Aunt Tracey

Preston smiling - this one made me laugh

Time for bed!

5 comments:

John Kincaid said...

Hey katrina and steven! We miss you guys like crazy and soooo wish we could be there to celebrate Preston's birth and snuggle with your sweet little bundle of joy! he is SOOOOO precious and we just can't wait to meet him!!! you are doing a great job!!! we love you (all 3 of you!!) and are praying for you!!!!!

Christi Provost said...

Thanks for all the photo's! It's great to be able to see updates from down here. Miss you!

dillyweed said...

It sure is a roller coaster of emotions - and what a joy to be together in the journey!
God bless you all and keep those pictures coming. I love seeing them!
I remember my first few weeks with Dylan, nursing and rocking him and crying because 'one day he was going to leave me, grow up, etc' - but then I realized that this season in my life is here now and I decided to stop worrying and try to enjoy it. I'm really enjoying it more and more now. And let me assure you of this: they keep getting more fun as they grow up. So fasten your seat belts guys - it's an awesome ride! ;)

Anonymous said...

aww he has the cutest smile!

Leah Warren said...

Amen, sister! Rest in truth, and know the Lord created him for you guys to take care of and no one else. It's hard to go with instinct sometimes, (esp. for us thinkers) but it's so freeing to know that the Lord is walking with us as we make decisions. Just know you are not alone! Start keeping a list of things you want done around the house on Saturday. We are praying for you guys!